Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Another First

This weekend Tim and I spent a couple hours of New Years Day at the hospital.  And it couldn't have even been the hospital closest to us, Doc recommended we go to the bigger one closer into the city.  It's funny what driving distance you justify as "no big thing" when it comes to your unborn child. 

On Saturday morning I let Tim know that I hadn't felt Will much the past couple days.  Usually he acts up 4-5 times per day for about 20-30 minutes each time.  But in the past 48 hours, during his usual play time I would feel 1-2 kicks and that would be it.  Of course, everything you read says to watch the movement and if anything changes - call your doc.  But with the holidays, family crashing at our house (we had about 12 people staying with us from Thur - Sun), and lack of sleep I was thinking it would be no big deal.  I was hoping Tim would say its nothing to be nervous about.  But he didn't.  So I got nervous.  We called the exchange number, I felt bad doing so on the holiday but I'm sure this will happen more once Will actually gets here.  Now I'm hoping Dr C will say I'm worrying over nothing...but he didn't.  "If you're nervous enough about his movements to call and they've decreased that much, I strongly suggest you go to the hospital to get monitored." 

Our family was so understanding, and Tim and I hopped into the car and drove out to the hospital.  Actually Tim drove, aka was speeding down the highway...but I wasn't about to tell him to go slower either.  We met the nicest doc on duty that day, she was fabulous.  We were hooked up to fetal monitors for over an hour and sure enough...Will was doing just fine in there.  Little stinker...I think I even felt him more in that hour than the past two days total!

Looking back and after talking with the Doc, I think I didn't feel him as much because he's changed position.  He's now head down and most likely back towards my belly.  So I wasn't feeling any kicks or punches, because those would be directed towards my back.  Hence my back pain I felt Friday.  He's also getting bigger so his movements feel different anyhow.  And I hadn't had a chance to catch up on sleep or energy yet over the I'm sure Will may have been a little groggy too.   All that adds up to a new mommy, worried about her baby, our first worried run to the hospital, but getting to listen to his perfect heartbeat for over an hour on New Years Day.


H said...

Wow what an exciting weekend you had. I'm glad baby is doing good! He must be practicing making you go into Mommy mode!

Moe said...

I don't blame you for being nervous/scared about it at all. I'm glad that you went to the doctor - but even more glad that nothing was wrong with your sweet baby.

Nick and Kristi said...

Glad baby is OK and Im glad you went....even though this time things were fine its not always the case so always go if you even have just a little bit of doubt...My sister has had four still births this month from women who felt decreased movement the night before but thought it would be OK to wait until the morning to call Dr. well unfort for them it was not:( So sad!!!

P.s. my little man gets really active with the monitors on must generate a differnt sound wave than US and makes them move more for some reason